Sunday, January 29, 2006

Ecclesiastes: Introduction, 2:11, 2:18

So begins the Ecclesiastes journey... I am using Matt's MacArthur study Bible, and there were several thoughts from the introduction that were profound and set the tone for what I wanted to gain from Ecclesiastes. As far as actual study, I read a small section each day and then look at the notes for it. I then choose a verse (or two) that impact me most for that day, write it in a journal, and then write my own thoughts on that particular selection. In order to catch up to where I am now, I'll post a few at a time.

I pray that you all will see what I have seen. Some say to prepare yourself for depression when you study Ecclesiastes. I have actually found the opposite to be true. Ecclesiastes is quite a motivating book to make sure that EVERYTHING you do has eternal impact. It reveals one of our highest callings as Christians: to stop thinking of ourselves and live our lives for God and God alone.

Introduction Thoughts:

1) Avoid walking through life on human wisdom alone. Rather, live life by the revealed wisdom of God.
2) Vanity is the futile attempt to be satisfied apart from God.
3) The "abundant life" is obtained by seeing and accepting each day and ALL it contains as a gift from God...even the hard parts because they stretch and grow you.
4) The primary purposes and issues of life are to enjoy divine blessing and prepare for the Divine Judgment. (Now, if that's not motivation to live a life full of joy and eternal purpose, I don't know what is!)

2:11

Then I looked on all the works that my hands had done and on the labor in which I had toiled; and indeed all was vanity and grasping for the wind. There was no profit under the sun.
To expend God-given resources for human accomplishment alone is empty. This includes time and energy -- if you only have enough time and energy to clean the bathroom or spend time with God, which would be more profitable? Hint: which has eternal impact and will last?
2:18
Then I hated all my labor in which I had toiled under the sun, because I must leave it to the man who will come after me. And who knows whether he will be wise or a fool?
You may be a control freak, and you may keep a fair amount of control for your whole life. But you WILL eventually cease from this earth and no longer have control over your affairs. How does that make you feel? 1) Start letting go, be flexible, and focus on eternal matters. 2) Train up someone to have the same eternal values and leave your affairs with them.
Proverbs 22:6, "Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it."
Titus 2:3-4, "Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, and so train the young women to love their husbands and children..."

1 comment:

Autumn said...

cool, thanks for sharing :)