Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Ladies, Get Ready!

Today was Titus 2sday at church, a time when alot of the women get together for study and fellowship. Today was about being "Liberated Through Submission: Seeing Ourselves Through God's Eyes." It was WONDERFUL! Yes, though I've only been married just a little while, I still have come a long way in the discipline of submission (discipline meaning both practice of and correction from the Lord in this area). At the beginning, the speaker asked who knew someone that would say submission is wonderful. I raised my hand with a few others. Then she asked who would themselves say that submission is wonderful. Praise God, I again was able to raise my hand. I know I have a ways to go and will never be perfect in submission (who will?), but I also know that for my age and stage in marriage...I am unique and mature in my view and practice of submission. I attribute it to God's grace in giving me examples of what not to do from both other wives and MYSELF and also by providing sound teaching in Home Ec on the roles of men and women in marriage.

So I will be posting the notes from today's lesson for a few days rather than Ecclesiastes. This woman has got it perfectly right. It would fit WELL into the level of teaching I gained from my professors! Why do I share them? Because it was a great reminder for me, and I want all of you to experience the freedom I have found in submission even in just a year and a half of marriage! Talk about making room for more love and joy within a marriage!

Introduction:
What we are going to discuss today is that God uses submission as a tool to free us from ourselves ~ which in turn brings us to the point where we can experience the strength of His power and the joy of His presence. It is at this place that we are that cleansed vessel that He can work through to use us in other peoples' lives ~ including our husbands.

Why do we not want to submit?
Sin ~ It is part of the curse; we want to be in control and we want to have it our way. Genesis 3:16 "...yet your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you." Desire for your husband here is not romantic in meaning. Part of the curse on women was the desire to be in control of others when in reality her role is submission.
Unbelief ~ We are afraid to let go and we doubt that we would like God's Way. I Peter 3:7 "You husbands in the same way, live with your wives in an understanding way, as with someone weaker, since she is a woman; and show her honor as a fellow heir of the grace of life, so that your prayers will not be hindered."
Fleshly (I Corinthians 3:1) ~ We have earthly thinking and our understanding is completely off. I Corinthians 3:1 "And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual men, but as to men of flesh, as to infants in Christ."

Whose view do you have?
We have a sin-tainted view of submission instead of having God's perspective. We need our minds renewed on the true meaning and understanding of submission. We have no idea that it is really a wonderful thing!

Isaiah 55:8-9 "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways," declares the LORD. "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts.
Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
James 3:17 But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy.

Next: The Three Categories of Submission...Which one are you in?

3 comments:

Jaclyn said...

Thanks for the insights :-) I am learning things about sumbission from the role of daughter. I know this is a WAY different role than wife, but I sure hope it prepares me for my future roles... I think the hardest part for me is respecting and submitting to a decision that I think is foolish...esp when the rest of the family will "suffer" because of that choice. I guess it is all apart of God growing each person how He wants!

Dawn said...

I think every role we have teaches us submission and prepares us in either small or large ways for the other types of submission to come. You are unique in that you still desire your dad to be 100% leader to you, though you are older. That in itself is good preparation. I would say it is the same kind of submission as to a husband, only it will become much more intense when it is a husband and not a father!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for the days when I can go to these cool Bible studies women have during the day! This sounds like an awesome gathering. They never think of the working wives...

Good post.